Dynastic Races Compendium
5 / 5 Stars + Seal of Approval from Endzeitgeist!
By Alexander Augunas
Races from Lands of History and Mystery!
Indulge in races from lands of history and mystery like never before with the Dynastic Races Compendium, by Everyman Gaming, LLC. Designed to be the ultimate guide on races commonly found in lands ruled by dynastic legacy and ancient mysticism, the Dynastic Races Compendium provides players and GMs with the ultimate resource for including capricious kitsune, proud nagaji, ancient samsarans, and shifty wayangs into their Pathfinder Roleplaying Game adventures!
The Dynastic Races Compendium includes:
- Over a dozen pages detailing each of the four dynastic races, including common bits of information, biology and physiology, culture, religion, origin stories, and more.
- A special article pertaining to some unique aspect of each dynastic race, including kyubi kitsune and day-seeking wayangs.
- 20 all-new alternate racial traits for each race, designed specifically to support the new lore provided.
- Alternate favored class bonus options for 30 different Pathfinder Roleplaying Game classes and alternate classes, including fan favorites like the occult classes and the vigilante.
- Archetypes and class options themed around each race, many of which are available to all characters from these mysterious lands.
- New feats designed to supplement the dynastic races and capture their unique culture and values.
- New spells pioneered by the dynastic races, many of which appear in their ancient myths and legends.
- New character traits and drawbacks designed to help players place their kitsune, nagaji, samsaran, and wayang characters in the world.
- Tables designed to help determine age, height, weight, and background for kitsune, nagaji, samsarans, and wayangs
- And much more!
With Everyman Gaming, innovation is never more than a page away!
Alexander Augunas’ Dynastic Races Compendium ranks as one of the best racial books I have read for any iteration of a d20-based game. While not every little component herein is pitch-perfect, the holistic vision exhibited herein has managed to take 4 races I did not like in their original iteration and made me really cherish them – never before have Kitsune, Samsarans, Wayang or Nagaji felt so alive, so organic, so worthwhile. Fans of these races will consider this a no-brainer anyway, but frankly, this is worth getting if you’re like me and hated crunch-only races, if you always wanted races to make sense. The depth of the cultures herein make them all practically demand being included in your game – their unique outlooks and worldviews, their cultures and traditions practically jump from the page. The prose is captivating and, even better, the crunch supports the complex and rich cultures presented within this book. In case you haven’t noticed: This should be considered to be a “This is how it’s done” for racial books; this attention to detail and realism, in lack of a better word, is what makes races work, what captures the imagination.
In short: Even if you consider the races herein lame, give this book a shot – as mentioned before, I very much went into these books disliking them all and ended up a convert, if you will: I can’t wait to have my PCs encounter these unique cultures. My final verdict, unsurprisingly, will clock in at 5 stars + seal of approval.